The WHAT and WHY:
My ambitious Norwegian ancestor, Marcus Thrane, an author and journalist, founded and lead the first Norwegian labor union in 1848. In his honor, I will be celebrating the economic and social contributions of workers this Labor Day sustainably by writing our President a letter regarding the sustainability imperative and attaching the 2012 Rio+20 Declaration on Justice, Governance and Law for Environmental Sustainability and the 2008 Declaration of Independence: The Sustainability Edition (from my July 4th blog entry).
As a sustainability consultant and educator I am constantly looking for creative ways to introduce sustainable concepts into our daily lives.
What better way to commemorate Labor Day sustainably than to celebrate culturally, socially, economically and environmentally with friends and family? Raise eco and sustainable awareness by engaging them in the process this holiday weekend.
- Plan a bike adventure and invite your friends. (No GHG emissions)
- Enjoy a park or visit a land trust for a Labor Day picnic. (Connect with the planet)
- Play Round Robin giving each participant the opportunity to contribute a few words about what this holiday means to them and their culture. (Engagement & inclusivity)
- Bring organic food, beer or wine to your Labor Day celebration. (Shop local organic foods, celebrate your local farmers, vintners and brewers)
- Use an organic sunscreen or insect repellent. (Keep toxins out of your body & the environment)
- Consider beginning your own personal sustainability program, utilizing Eco psychology to take your sustainable inventory. (Save money, live a more sustainable lifestyle while saving the planet’s resources for future generations)
- Draft your own sustainability bucket list. (This could be fun with friends!)***
- Adopt an unemployed or recently graduated sustainable consultant, green activist or sustainability manager. (Pay it forward by mentoring or employing a sustainability advocate. Help them get a client, a job or academic contract)
- Write your congressperson, senator or global leader. (Attach one of the declaration’s above to remind them to consider our joint legacy by representing you and your future generations)
*** Note: Please send us your “Sustainable Bucket List” for our September blog entry (send to email@example.com). Check out one of our follower’s “sustainable bucket list” here.
The Deep Dive:
10 organic spirits compared, with drink recipes