Re-Occupy Main Street (Week # 47)
The WHAT and WHY:
As we approach this holiday time of year, many feel helpless and succumb to social and cultural pressures that influence our choices. Not at TerraBluTeams.
As we approach Black Friday, I suggest you read my 2011 post, A Sustainable Holiday Weekend: A Buy Nothing Day, Shop Local Day and Make Something Day. In the graphic above you can recognize most all of the suggestions I made that year. This year I suggest a deeper dive.
This week’s practice is to Occupy Black Friday, in your own way, by standing up and taking back your power to influence the quadruple bottom line (Economic, Environmental, Social, Cultural).
THE HOW: (here are just a few suggestions to get the ball rolling)
• Pay your employees to take Thanksgiving and Black Friday off like REI.
• If you must shop during the holidays, say no to credit cards, buy with cash to avoid contributing to banker’s pockets and thus supporting their agendas.
• Boycott stores with striking workers and support picketers who favor fair labor practices.
• Buy local thereby decreasing GHG emissions, supporting your community and neighbors, for your own health and social connectivity.
• Take a deeper dive, with a friend who differs from your own cultural/spiritual holiday rituals, reaffirm your roots, extend an understanding to them AND take the opportunity to honor theirs. (See my post about UnThanksgiving Day).
• Give a “family gift certificate” to a family in need. Make a coupon book of services (babysitting, mowing the lawn, Sunday dinner, car wash, trip to a museum, etc.)
• Best of all, you could NOT SHOP on Thanksgiving Day, Cyber Monday or Black Friday – send a message to stores that employees should be able to stay home with families and enjoy the day off.
Please send us your comments and feedback!
The Deep Dive:
Youtube video on Walmart strikes by labor journalist, Josh Eidelson (21 minutes) Interesting examination of Walmart’s labor “philosophy”.