In the spirit of ushering in the New Year of 2016, send out your party evites with biking and public transportation tips. Encourage them to dress sustainably for your party fashion show; best sustainable costume wins a “sustainable gift” (carbon offset gift certificates or a Luci light, or the Biolite cooking stove).
If you have a deck or porch, consider cooking one of your food items in a solar oven or the solar cooking tube. Start with serving one or several eco-cocktails under your eco-sky lanterns; spice it up by testing your friends eco-gaming abilities before you serve a sustainable menu on your eco-dinnerware.
Have your composting and recycling bins clearly labeled and placed.
Before the round robin “resolution” discussion begins, did you know only 8% of people are successful at keeping their New Year’s resolutions of the 45% who make them? Although this may be entertaining, at our household we started a different tradition several year’s ago. The group’s elder starts a “round robin” sharing of what they are grateful for in the previous year’s life experience. This practice is as heartwarming as it is a good exercise for the soul.
This week’s sustainable practice is for you to come up with your Top Five Sustainable goals for 2016! It is amazing what can happen in just one year!
Our Top Five Sustainable Practices we recommend for 2016:
2. Make your home energy efficient, compost, collect rainwater and make a toxic-free household. Follow Bea Johnson, who actualized a zero-waste household.
3. Take the 6 R’s Challenge: (Refuse, reduce, recycle, reuse, repurpose, repair) up a notch in 2016; buy only unpackaged sustainable non-toxic goods that are “smart designed”. Steward that resource responsibly to the end of it’s lifecycle.
4. Reconnect with nature, walk, bike and engage your community. Become an environmental/sustainability advocate as a member of an energy/sustainability group, a local land trust, your local watershed, or ocean conservancy. Adopt a natural space and steward it for the next year.
5. Love, laugh, celebrate, dance, and honor life and nature around you, feeding your spirit and those living with you and near you.
That’s what I call “Living the Sustainable Tiny Life”.
What are your sustainable resolutions for 2016? Tell us now in comments below!
* We are a non-profit corporation whose ethical practices do NOT receive income from any of the products or services we recommend.
The Deep Dive:
Eco-Gamers.org, eco-games for adults, on agriculture, engineering, conservation, energy, eco-systems and design
Eco-friendly sky wish lanterns
Our friend’s documentary about the 6 week challenge for three NYC carnivores becoming Vegucated